Scientist Molecular Breeding
KeyGene continues to strengthen its competitive position; therefore we are looking for a dedicated
Senior Scientist – Molecular Breeding
Vacancy number 21.US001
The position will exploit KeyGene’s proprietary technology platforms and trait identification pipelines to develop innovative and sustainable products that meet the demands of modern-day crop improvement goals. Responsibilities include and are not limited to:
- Aid in leading research activities by assisting in planning and effectively conducting experiments and recording and analyzing data.
- Manage and lead breeding experiments planning, execution, data collection, and data analysis activities with multiple crops.
- Lead molecular breeding activities, including experimental design, marker strategy, management of breeding databases and resource allocation. Manage submission of DNA marker jobs, quality control, and analyzing the resulting data to make advancement decisions.
- Utilize all relevant molecular technologies and approaches including MARS, MABC, GWAS, GS for development of successful commercial products.
- PhD in plant molecular breeding, systems biology, or related field with a minimum 3 years of hands-on experience in plant breeding (post grad) or MS with 10 + years of significant industry experience.
- Experience in quantitative genetics is required, field-based breeding and molecular breeding, experimental design, analyzing and interpreting next generation sequencing, and population genomics using advanced statistical methods including Bayesian and maximum likelihood.
- Experience must include utilizing principles of bioinformatics, population genetics and biotechnology techniques using high throughput molecular markers development and molecular biology laboratory techniques.
- A strong background in molecular breeding techniques such as MATS, MAIC, and GWS.
- Familiarity with large molecular data sets generated with the latest molecular marker and sequencing technologies.
- Strong understanding of bioanalysis (sequence analysis, genome annotation, comparative genomics, QTL mapping, marker-trait associations, and systems biology).
Desired Skills Set
- Experience in the design and execution of a trait introgression program is preferred.
- Proven experience in the design and execution of field and greenhouse experiments.
- Knowledge and experience in plant breeding experimental designs and statistical analysis.
- Ability to lead and develop employees in plant breeding disciplines to enhance their work performance.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work in a collaborative cross-functional team environment.
- At least 3 years of successful experience managing breeding projects, ideally in private industry.
- Experience with molecular breeding and the deployment of strategies used in plant breeding.
- Strong background in statistical methods and experimental design.
- Fluent with statistics software.
- Fluency in Python, PERL, Galaxy, or other programming language / interfaces would be a plus.
- Ability to utilize a range of tools and methodologies to perform a variety of task such as:
- Use molecular marker data to conduct diversity and structure analyses of the populations and use the results to further inform the analytical strategy.
- Conduct analyses to identify marker/QTL and marker/gene associations in different types of populations.
- Estimate the accuracy of genomic selection and produce genomic estimated breeding values that can be used in selection.
- Perform genomic analyses using high-throughput genotyping/sequencing and phenotypic data for molecular breeding, including genomic selection.
- Excellent communication skills and teamwork.
- Efficient planning and organizational skills, adaptable and a quick learner.
KeyGene offers a dynamic job with a competitive salary and benefits in an exciting, highly innovative and ambitious research company. At KeyGene you will become part of a passionate, inviting and collaborative team.
You will be able to work on the continuous development of our technology platforms and so contribute to our internationally recognized position in agro-biotech research. The position is based in Wageningen (The Netherlands) a worldwide renowned centre of agricultural research.
Additional information about the position can be obtained from Joanne Zhou, Accounting and Administrative Assistant at Joanne.firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
If you are interested in this vacancy, please send your letter of motivation and cv to Joanne.email@example.com.